In the news:
1) Coca Cola addresses the obesity epidemic
2) Spam email hits a five-year low, but is still two-thirds of all email.
Considering how prevalent spam is, it’s no wonder many people who recently received the legal notice Fraley v. Facebook email were suspicious:
Fraley v. Facebook, Inc. Lawsuit – Sponsored Stories
If you’re an eligible Facebook user in the U.S. or UK, you may have already received an email (or may get one soon) from email@example.com titled: “Re: Legal Notice of Settlement of Class Action:”
You are receiving this e-mail because you may have been featured in a “Sponsored Story” on Facebook prior to December 3, 2012…
What are sponsored stories?
“Sponsored stories are messages coming from friends about them engaging with your Page, app or event that a business, organization or individual has paid to highlight so there’s a better chance people see them.” -Facebook
Who is the lead plaintiff, Angel Fraley? If the Fraley v. Facebook goes cy pres, which not-for-profit organizations will receive what’s left of the $20 million settlement? Why does this all smell fishy? What does the average user stand to gain (besides $10 max)?
Tips on Tap
1) Prevent cell phone frostbite: Keep your phone in your pocket in cold temperatures to prevent decline in the lithium ion battery when it’s below freezing.
2) Fashism.com – A fashion crowdsourcing website and app for iPhone and Android. “Post a photo, ask a question, get advice.”
3) Electronics buying guide – When to buy:
- Computer monitors: January-February
- Cell phones – Valentine’s Day (look for BOGO deals)
- “Spam hits a five-year low (but it’s still two-thirds of all email)” –NBCNews – Technology 1/25/13
- Fraley v. Facebook, Inc. – fraleyfacebooksettlement.com/
- Citizen Media Law Project- Fraley v. Facebook
The Digital Dive Podcast is on Stitcher, the best free podcast streaming app. If you’re new to Stitcher, please sign up with our link below.